This came out as a joke between me and some friends, a couple of months ago.
“Whatever you write, there’s at least one character with red hair in your stories. Do you have a thing for gingers or what?”
Actually, yes (lol)
No, honestly, I’ve always loved red hair, and these are a few reasons why:
- Red is my favorite color
- They’re rare. I love that only 2% of the world population has natural red hair
- It’s a color you can never imitate: I tried to dye my hair red twice. It looked like shit
- Colors look brighter whenever a ginger wears them. Even pink! (even though a certain Anne “with an e” would disagree)
- Stupid prejudices give red-headed characters a lot of good potential backstories
- So many fictional characters that influenced my childhood and my personality while growing up had red hair. This little one in particular:
So, yes, I love this “Rosso Malpelo”, which actually isn’t “Malpelo” at all, and you’ll find a lot of redheaded boys and girls in my writing.